Saturday, August 15, 2015

Stuffed Zucchini Shepherd's Pie

Today I'm going to share an experiment I did the other day that my husband declared a "repeatable experiment" and I noted as a easy make ahead meal

I took one of the larger zucchini in my garden (anything over a foot would work) washed it and cut it in half

I then removed the seeds, setting them aside. I just used a table spoon, its pretty easy. Scrape as big a hollow as you think you'll need, making sure to leave at least a 1/2 inch of shell.
Set the hollowed shells aside.



In a frying pan brown your hamburger (I used a half pound) with your desired spices. I used Chili powder, Oregano and Lowry's seasoning salt.
While the meat is browning add the zucchini flesh and seeds that you hollowed out, breaking it up as it cooks. You could also add onions, peppers etc, you're limited only by your imagination. ..and what is in your pantry ;)


Once the meat and veggies are fully cooked, scoop them into the zucchini shells.


Carefully smoosh mashed potatoes over the filling, piling it as thick as you can and sealing the filling into the zucchini.
You could add cheese at this point, I didn't this time.


Place zucchini in oven at 350º for 45 minutes or until zucchini reaches desired consistency. At 45 minutes mine was still just a little crunchy even though it was fully cooked.

Cut into desired serving sizes and enjoy!

(This was before serving as leftovers the next day....my guys were too hungry the first time around for me to stop for a picture LOL)

So to sum up.

One med-large zucchini
.5 - 1 pound hamburger (or other ground meat)
Desired spices (chili, oregano and Lowry's worked well)
Desired additional veggies for filling
Mashed potatoes

Cookie sheet or other large flat pan.
Knife
Table spoon.

Wash zucchini
Cut in half lengthwise
Scoop out innards, set aside.
Place shells on baking pan, set aside.
In frying pan, brown hamburger with desired spices and veggies (including zucchini innards)
Fill zucchini shells with hamburger mixture.
Top with mashed potatoes, sealing as much as possible.
Bake at 350º 45 minutes or until shell is at desired consistency when tested with a sharp knife.

Serve and enjoy!

(Careful, zucchini holds heat REALLY well!)

What do you do with your zucchini and yellow squash, whether to eat immediately or preserving for later? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment