Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Teach Your Children Well

I was thinking about tradition today. It all started when I found myself humming a song that has a lot of memories attached to it for me. My first memory of it is when I learned it to sing with my extended family at my paternal grandfather’s funeral. After that it seemed that this song turned up at every wedding, funeral and family gathering we had. As a child growing up, it seemed to me it was a deliberate tradition, apparently it wasn’t! When my extended family came to celebrate my wedding with us I asked My Aunts and Uncles if we could sing “the song we sing at every family gathering” I got a lot of blank looks and was asked which song I was talking about! When I explained they were more than happy to comply but thinking about it today it makes me smile. This song has been sung throughout the years at all these gatherings because it means something. Our family is very music oriented so we always end up singing several songs and somehow this one always showed up, because it meant something, because it says something to us. Thinking about this today it makes me smile, isn’t that the way traditions should be? Doing something not because “we’ve always done it that way” but because it tugs at our hearts and has meaning for us. This is how I want Lil Buckaroo to see our family traditions and beliefs. Yes, we deliberately follow the traditions, commandments and ceremonies commanded in the Bible, but we do it because each one has meaning, a reason to be followed, and not just empty motions!  It’s Biblical too!

Deuteronomy 6:7                                                                                                                                                      And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Deuteronomy 6:20 And when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What mean the testimonies, and the statutes, and the judgements, which the Lord our GOD hath commanded you?
21a Then thou shalt say unto thy son….
24 And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the Lord our GOD, for our good always, that HE might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.
25 And it shall be our righteousness if we observe to do all these commandments before the Lord our GOD as HE hath commanded us.
Deuteronomy 11:19                                                                                                                                                                       And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

What song was I humming you ask? It’s a song called Thank You Mom and Daddy that was made famous by Brush Arbour, not many people know it now, in fact I couldn’t find the lyrics online and had to ask my mom to send them to me!


If you're interested in listening to it, here's a video. 




No comments:

Post a Comment