Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Dina C. Smith, Cowgirl With A Camera. #WesternArtWednesday

One of the ranchers ready to ride to check on his cattleToday I have the pleasure of introducing another friend who I have yet to meet in person, hopefully someday, somewhere we can sit around a campfire and have some coffee!
May I introduce, Dina C. Smith, Cowgirl with a camera!

- Life Story
I was born in Tularosa, New Mexico, on November 8, 1963. My home town is Alamogordo, New Mexico. I was the 7th child and a twin. I was crippled and hard of hearing, I could not talk till age 5. I attended public school, then attended a boarding school for the deaf. I graduated from the New Mexico School for the Deaf in Santa Fe, New Mexico
in 1982. I married, moved to Wisconsin, raised and homeschooled my children for 8 years. The marriage ended in 2001 and I met my husband Steve, who features in most of my photos. We worked on several ranches and farms taking care of cattle and horses.
We also raised our own Longhorns. Then, in 2013 my husband, Steve, was offered a wrangler "cowboy" job in Creede, Colorado. The first year he had a rider help him. I couldn't ride because I was in a horrific accident a year and half before. I was in a wheel chair for 7 months and used a cane for the next year or so. I kept myself busy by taking pictures of the wildlife, landscape, flowers and cowboys, of course.

The second year I got my chance. I became my husband's sidekick, a real cowgirl and took my photography to the next level. I have had 3 exhibits in Wisconsin and a calendar for the year 2015, and will again be selling calendars for 2016. Since I was a tiny tot I had a dream that someday I was going to be a real cowgirl and here I am, doing what I've always wanted to do.
Cowboys riding to check on cattle
- Day Job, Western or mainstream?
We work for the Park Grazing Assocation out of Alamosa, Colorado area. This is our 3rd year.

One of the ranchers ready to ride to check on his cattle

- tell me about your subject matter, (ie just horses, just buckaroo style, rodeo etc. )
My photography is western, buckaroos and wranglers

cowboy looking about to see how cattle are
 -What advice would you give to someone just getting started as an artist? 
My advice is if you truly want to do this, well, take as many pictures as you can and learn about your camera and how your photography affects a person or people. I carry my camera wherever I go, even in a saddle bag when I ride the range checking cattle.



- where can people find you online? Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Webpage etc?
my website www.CowgirlWithACamera.us or on Facebook, Dina C Smith Photography





Want to see more Cowboy Artists? Check out the rest of the #WesternArtWednesday posts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment